April 2, 2012

My Ear Went Under The Knife!


Just that average girl who may or may not be perfect to you~

WOAH! 
I realized I haven't been updating for quite awhile. I was reminded to write more by someone on ChatterBox. *Feeling guilty to the max*

Sometimes, I have got this tingling feeling of blogging but I was thinking if it is something my readers are even bothered to read or interested in. So, ya....

My apologies to my avid readers and were disappointed with the lack of updates~

And yes, my ear did went under the knife last Wednesday. No joke!
To be precise, I had a surgery done on my left ear at an Aesthetic Clinic.

Cosmetic and Aesthetic Surgery are commonly known as kind of Plastic Surgery.
 The definitions for Aesthetic Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery are subjective, hence I am not very sure which category does mine fall under. Reading up online is not helpful at all since different sites offer different perspectives of it.

But in any case, the purpose of this surgery was to remove the Keloid on my left ear.

Reasons being:
1. It is increasing in size as years passed by.
2. It is sure ugly as fuck.
3. Not sure if it would become something nasty.


See that abnormal bump on my ear?

Yes! That bitch has been growing on me for 5 years or so.
It started showing its hideous presence as a teeny weeny bump after I have gotten myself second Helix Piercing.
And it decided to dominate that 2 piercing sites!
Sometimes, it being a bitch, itches and hurts for no apparent reasons.

Because of this, I dare not to have any more piercings for the fear of the growth of Keloid for 5 freaking years! To think I love piercings so much.

It eventually grew to the size that a friend asked if I had an implant on my ear!
I searched online what are the possible treatments for keloids. Apparently, a surgery is inevitable for a keloid that size. I totally dropped the idea of heading to the Doctor's as I was afraid. 
Afraid of the injections and being under the knife!

Eventually, I was encouraged and brought to the Clinic for the removal of that cursed keloid.

The doctor commented that it has kind of hardened.
She commented that I should have seek for Doctor's help when it first appeared. During it's initial growth, it can be removed by Cortisone Injections (Intralesional Steroids). And now, I have no choice but to remove it by excision.

So! If anyone of you noticed any abnormal growth on your piercings, please please please, visit a Doctor! 

She made it known to me that there are chances of recurring growth, depending on individuals.
To prevent that, I have got to return for injections.

I was debating if I should go for it.
I was afraid of recurring growth into something of bigger size.
I really can't stand the idea of being under the knife.

I was given assurance that everything will be fine and that if I did not take the risk, I would never know how the results would be. I might be lucky to not have any recurring growth, even if it does, it can be kept under control. I then decided to go ahead with the removal of the keloid.

As I was getting myself prepared, my mind was blank and I could hear my heart thumping away loudly.

It was my first time on a god-damn surgical table.

I lied down on my sides while the assistant cleaned my ear thoroughly. 
I asked "Would I be conscious?" The answer was yes. 
But she assured me that it would be painless and I wouldn't be able to see anything.

That kind of fear while I'm lying there was un-describable.
I was freaking tensed up.
I jokingly mentioned that those who went under the knife for beauty are brave.

The surgeon then came into the room and informed me that  anesthetic injection are given on 5 different points of my ears.

Injections just scare the crap out of me since young.
I kept telling myself "Hey! It would not hurt that much! It would be just the same as any ear piercings that I have done! No worries! The injections would be over soon!"


IT HURT LIKE A BITCH!
So painful that I was giddy and nauseous!
I tried my very best to keep my tears in and not to cry, but it was impossible!

I felt very warm and uncomfortable.

She then proceeded on removing the keloid.
The urge of vomitting was strong that I have to inform her. 

All she did was to instruct her assistant to lower the temperature of the air conditioner.
That move! It was magical!
When the temperature was lowered, I felt better already.

Though my ear was numb, I could feel her nipping and tugging at my ear.
During the surgery, the surgeon commented that it was difficult to cut it away since it has sort of hardened.

At this point of time, I felt less tense and managed to relax myself totally.
I then realised how Comestic Plastic Surgery can be addictive.
Yes, you may feel the fear when you are first at it, but after you have gotten over the fear, it would be a breeze. Nothing else hurts. OK! This may not be what others think, but this is at least what I think so.

Back to the topic, the whole procedure, injection, removal of keloid and stitching up the wound are all done in less than an hour. 

Here's a photo of the keloid removed.


Disgusting isn't it?

Finally that bitch is out of my ear!


You see that small bump in front of the stitches?
Yes, that is another keloid. The surgeon said that it is impossible to remove it at the same time as there wouldn't be enough extra skin for her to stitch up.

The kind of stitching she did was layering stitching so that the surgery scar would not be too obvious.
However, that little keloid can be removed by injections instead.


Here's how the stitches look like.
I know it is ugly.


The assistant applied antiseptic cream on my surgical wound and wrapped a piece of gauze around it.
I believed it is to act as a cushion for it.

I was encouraged not to put pressure on it for fear of opening up the wounds. Hence, the first few nights, I had to sleep on my right side. For those who are wondering if it hurts when the anesthetic effect wears off, it does hurt a little but it was bearable.

Till now, I'm still on Antibiotics to prevent any infections.

Now, all I hope that it would heal up well and there are no recurring growths!

P.S. Updates on Keloid Removal at 
http://tiffanyintaintedlove.blogspot.com/2012/04/keloid-removal-excision-updates-and.html#

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tiffany :)

    Can I know which clinic you went to and how much does this cost? TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. which clinic you went to & how much is it? i have one on the same spot as you and its also there for 2 years. and kinda hardens. dont dare to have it remove..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...