May 15, 2012

Would You Donate Your Face For Face Transplantation?


Aloha!
I have received one interesting question on FormSpring and decided to share it here.
"Face transplant has been done for people with major accidents. Would you donate your face when you die? (face won't look like you after transplant)"


I went to search a bit more on face transplant and here are what I have gathered from Wikipedia.

- Apparently, face transplant is done and aesthetically beneficial for people with faces disfigured by traumas, burns, diseases or birth defects.
- The world's first partial face transplant on a living human was carried on 27 November 2005.
- The world's first full face transplant on carried on 20 March 2010 whereby, a team of 30 Spanish doctors carried it out on a man injured in a shooting accident.


He is Oscar (Left: before face transplant. Right: after face transplant), who was the first have to a full face transplant done when he accidentally shot himself in the face in 2005. Before face transplant, he was unable to breathe and eat on his own.

You may read more about him at http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news13609.html.

I went on Google-ing for images for face transplant just now and read the stories behind each images.

I came to realize that face transplanting is not totally about looking aesthetically more pleasing, but also allow them to do the most simplest thing such as talking, eating and breathing. 

They could smile, smell and taste their food again.
I was oblivious to these facts.

Their expressions might be wooden, but there's something glistening within their eyes.
Each beneficiaries could not express their gratefulness to the doctors and donors, and happiness any further.
They had their lives back.

To be honest, my initial response was the same as everybody else (those who have responded to this question in Formspring). "Hell no am I going to donate my face. I wouldn't want to be a faceless ghost,etc." But I have never posted my response till now.


Reason being, I do not want people to stare into my "blank face" while I lay in the coffin. I want people who loved me to be able to see my face for the last time. 
I do not mind donating my organs after my death, but to donate my face, it is kind of scary.
Superstitious I might be, I am worried that Hell King and Ghost Guards would not be able to identify me. I would be a wandering ghost. 


I stood firmly by my initial response then.


But now, I am not sure.
If I could donate my organs after my death, sure can I donate my face too.
There are people who benefit greatly from a face donor. There are people who can be healed in their souls and minds from it.


I am wavered in my decision. 
Will I ever donate my face after my death or will I not.


      

0 comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...